I ask this question in all sincerity.
Do y’all fart when you’re working out? For some reason, when I’m working out, gas seems to work itself out of my body. I’m completely serious people. I beg you to be honest if you post a comment. And don’t give me any of that “I’m a woman and I never fart” bullcrap. We all fart. It’s nature. Also, farts are funny. I am a 27-year-old woman, but I still think farts are hilarious. I giggle like a kid, no lie.
For some reason, whenever I’m doing cardio (walking, jogging, elliptical, whatever), I can’t help but fart. They’re not very smelly farts. They’re not noisy farts. They’re regular farts. A one-gun salute. The trouser cough. A bottom burp.
Thank goodness I’m not the only one:
- When you are running, you are using your efforts toward the running process, and, in addition to that, your digestion is being “helped along” by the exercise, so any gas in your system is moving along with great speed. It would be more difficult to suppress gas while running, as you can guess. (yahoo)
- “Running makes me fart.” (Runner’s World)
- “To tell you the truth…every run I fart.” (Runner’s World)
- “When I’m alone I don’t even try to hold it in. Sometimes a little fart escapes on every 5 or 6 straight strides.” (Runner’s World)
- “Farting while running is the best time to fart because you’ll never smell it (unless you’re on a treadmill or running with a strong tailwind).” (Runner’s World)
- “You mean there are people that don’t fart when they run? Or just don’t admit it?” (BeginnerTriathlete)
- “I get the running farts a lot, but it seems to be the worst if I run at the gym on the treadmill.” (BeginnerTriathlete)
- “I get the farts really bad whenever I run.” (BeginnerTriathlete)
I did some Internet research (yes, I spent almost an hour googling fart, fart machine, fart euphemisms, etc) and here are some fart facts:
- It’s normal to fart 12 – 40 times per day, emitting between 0.5 and two liters of gas. You should only worry if you fart significantly more than this.
- Farts contain gases such as nitrogen, carbon dioxide, methane, hydrogen, oxygen, and hydrogen sulphide. These gases are produced by bacteria that live in the digestive system and break down food into nutrients that the body can absorb.
- There’s a company that makes special underwear, designed to reduce the smell of farts. NO JOKE. THIS IS A REAL PRODUCT.
I’m not one to hold in a fart. That’s just an embarrassing moment waiting to happen. Now, I know that holding in a fart could be dangerous, “It’s tempting to hold in your farts to avoid embarrassment in social settings. But if you hold your farts in for too long, the gas can be absorbed in the blood stream and then exhaled as a bad breath” (Uncensored English Vocabulary).
So there you have it. I fart when I work out. Do you?